GREATER SAINT JAMES MBC

GREATER SAINT JAMES

BAPTIST CHURCH HISTORY


  • 1895-Saint James Baptist Church was founded by Rev. J. Francis Robinson and 30 members formerly of the Mount Gilead Baptist Church

  • 1910 - Rev. Dr. J. H. Winn was called to pastor Saint James Baptist Church (1910-1940)

  • Between 1911-1940, the church built and supported a Mission Station in Liberia, Africa

  • 1912 - A Special Divinity School for Ministers was established

  • 1913 - The property was paid for and the Tabernacle (basement) was constructed.  The church's name was Saint James Second Street Baptist Church

  • ​1920 - Saint James Baptist Church opened its door to the graduation classes of I. M. Terrell High School for their Baccalaureate Vespers because there was no other African American auditorium large enough to accomodate the classes and the audience

  • 1940 - Rev. Dr. W. S. Brent was called to pastor Saint James Baptist Church (1940-1950)

  • 1949 - The Education Annex was built

  • 1950 - Rev. O. P. Felder was called to pastor Saint James Baptist Church (1950-1952)

  • 1952 - Rev. C. A. Holliday was called to pastor Saint James Baptist Church (1952-1978)

  • 1956 - Hosted to the General Missionary Baptist Convention of Texas

  • ​1979 - Rev. Bobby Webber was called to pastor

            Greater Saint James Baptist Church

  • 1982 - Rev. Jerry W. Dailey was called to pastor

            Greater Saint James Baptist Church

  • 1985 - Rev. R. C. Johnson was called as interim pastor to

            Greater Saint James Baptist Church

  • 1986 - Greater Saint James Missionary Baptist Church was

            recorded as a Texas Historical Landmark

  • 1987 - Rev. R. C. Johnson was called to pastor Greater Saint James 

            Missionary Baptist Church

  • 1989 - The Memorial Room was established.

  • 1995 - Greater Saint James Baptist Church celebrated its 

            Centennial year

  • 1997 - City of Fort Worth named Greater Saint James Baptist Church

            a city Historical Landmark

  • 1998 - Greater Saint James Baptist Church begins a Building Fund

​            for a Multipurpose Center

  • 2014 - Rev. Salestirest (Les) Brewer was called to pastor 

            Historic Greater Saint James Baptist Church